I use to tell people that I would give up my right arm before I gave up chicken and beef and here I am hoping nobody takes me up on that because today I say adieu to meat--except fish.
With my limited research, I've decided to become a lacto-ovo vegetarian. This means I get to keep my eggs and dairy--phew.
I need eggs in my life. I'm not the biggest dairy consumer anyway, but the thought of giving up butter and cheese at this point would be plain barbaric!
But, today is day 1, so I'm going to treat it like day 1 and not be rash about anything else (just in case I'm suffering from the same polluted crops that those crazy little girls from the Salem Witch Trials were suffering from--apparently it made for quite the story--if you haven't read it, do pick it up at your local Barnes and Noble).
Now to the confusing part of this whole thing: I don't want to be that pasta loving over indulgent vegetarian (stereotype alert--sorry to those offended by my comment). I lift, so I still want to make gains (can you hear the bro in my voice?). Plus, I don't really like pasta all that much. As a meat eater, I think I ate pasta once bimonthly. Again, with some limited research, I've found lots of vegetable recipes--that's all fine and good, but am I going to be gassy? Let's be real. This is a concern.
In addition, a prior health concern requires that I take blood thinner, so I can't consume too much Vitamin K. Sheesh--so many considerations. This blog will obviously be a recording of me trying to figure out how to eat, what to eat, how to mourn (I mean manage) meat, and still be strong af.
Oh, and I would be remiss if I didn't say that I am taking the plunge today because while I know a decent amount about food, I watched the documentary What the Health yesterday, and it really won me over--even more than Forks Over Knives. Why? Because I have two unknown health complications that I've suffered with for a long time without answers. The lens from which the documentary presented their argument about the correlation between processed meat consumption and disease spoke to me. Definitely take a look if you haven't already (trailer below)! It's nothing if not at least thought-provoking; obviously, I've been moved to action, but it's worth a look regardless.
Before I go, let me confess that I thought I should say goodbye to meat with a trip to McDonalds yesterday, food I rarely eat (we're talking maybe twice a year) & it was the most disappointing goodbye ever. That food is not for human consumption. I should have grilled a steak instead, but that time has passed.
Go Big or Go Home!
No comments:
Post a Comment